Friday 13 April 2012

Enter Vertexboy

I don't think enough people appreciate the kind of sacrifices I make for this game, because the picture you're about to see mortally crippled my dignity. It also pushed me to the limit as an artist, but in the wrong way. It was hard to ignore everything I know about anatomy and muscles to draw what is basically a stick figure. So prepare to shield your eyes everyone, we're about to reveal the face of the infamous impostor and Polyboy's arch nemesis, Vertexboy!

He's not exactly finished yet, I mean, for something that's supposed to be a Square Enix/shitty fanart by talentless animu fangirls parody he doesn't have nearly enough belts, weird hair, chains, rainbows, mismatching clothes etc., but this will have to do for now. I won't have the time required to fully include all details in the finished model anyway (not to mention that mapping it will be worse than death itself). He was also supposed to be leaning on his weapon of choice, the mighty sword VertExcalibur (Carcity deserves a medal for coming up with such a cheesy name), but I forgot how to draw swords the size of a truck.

The general thoughts behind Vertexboy and his designs is mainly to contrast Polyboy, but also to make fun of all the horrible, twisted fanart of pretty much everything in existence. Just go to deviantArt and search for any franchise that comes to mind, like South Park and you'll see that 99% of the most popular images are bastardized manga versions of the characters that are so different from their original designs that they no longer even resemble what they are supposed to be (ESPECIALLY male characters).

Maybe it's just my personal distaste for incredibly inconvenient clothing, but this whole "bishiefication" deal is just as offensive to me as plastering shamelessly giant cleavages on female characters. You're not really creating interesting or sympathetic characters, you're just catering to the most shallow groups of fans (in this case, to 13 years old girls), adding more to the already bloated sea of dull and uninteresting carbon copy designs *cough*FinalFantasy*cough*. And when you design a character like Vertexboy, can you imagine him having any kind of likeable non-stereotyped personality? What really breaks my heart is that if we were a recognised studio we'd get a crapload of requests from hormonal fangirls demanding that we make Vertexboy the main protagonist instead. Or maybe they wouldn't, maybe, by the time we're ready to hit the REAL gaming industry the world magically stops being stupid.



Anyway, here is something else that I mainly drew to boost my injured ego but aslo because it greatly amuses me. Hopefully you find it as funny as I do (I know the hands are messed up, I will fix them later when I have less pressing matters to deal with).

I'll try to finish Polyboy's model and textures by Monday. As far as I know, Carcity also fixed up the momentum issues with the controls and the wall jumping. We might also scrap the dashing/sliding, it isn't that vital to the game. Have a great weekend, y'all!

/Wasp

No comments:

Post a Comment